DIM for weight loss
People report weight loss with diindolylmethane supplementation, for several reasons.
For one, bad estrogens signal to your body to hold onto weight, especially in the hips ans thighs. If you have a better balance of estrogen metabolites, you’re less likely to hold onto unnecessary body fat.
Second, DIM and its precursor I3C suppress adipogenesis, which is the formation of new fat cells. It also stimulates burning the fat cells you have and the fat you eat through your diet.
Typically, DIM will come in 100-200mg capsules. Since you could have detox effects, it’s best to start slow, with 150mg every day or every other day until you no longer have detox symptoms. Depending on your goals, you might stay at that dose, or work up to more.
Bodybuilders who use DIM to counteract the effects of testosterone supplementation converting to estrogen tend to take up to 400mg a day.
HOW DO I TAKE DIM?
Number of servings: 60 Servings
Serving size: 1 Capsule
Supplement timing: 1 capsule with a meal.
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS?
Diindolylmethane, abbreviated as DIM, is a supplementary compound that is extracted from cruciferous vegetables and has been known to help deal with estrogen imbalance.
BioPerine is a kind of black pepper that enhances the body’s absorption rate.
Calcium D-Glucarate offers the liver support in breaking down xenoestrogens present in estrogen dominant bodies.
Broccoli extracts are broken down by the body to produce indole-3-carbinol, thus, naturally producing Diindolylmethane.
Side effects of DIM and how to deal
DIM is generally well-tolerated with a few mild symptoms for a few days. Side effects of DIM include:
- Brain fog
- Dark urine (orange to brownish)
The consensus is that darkened urine is harmless and will return to normal once you stop taking your DIM supplement. Some say it’s a good sign that DIM is working on your liver to neutralize estrogen metabolites. Whatever the cause, don’t be alarmed.
The rest of the side effects of DIM are short-lived and resemble the effects of general detox symptoms — because that’s precisely what’s happening. DIM pulls excess estrogens out of your cells and sends them out into the bloodstream for elimination. While it’s all circulating, you’ll feel like crud.
That’s the case with any detox. When you pull things like chemicals, heavy metals, and mold toxins out of hiding, they have an effect on the cells they come into contact with while they’re on their way out. That’s why it’s crucial to support your body’s detox and elimination systems while you’re taking DIM or doing other detoxes.
Here’s how you can get the ick out ASAP:
- Support your liver. The liver is a main mode of estrogen breakdown, and when you’re using DIM to usher it out, your liver starts to work overtime. You can support your liver with glutathione, calcium d-glucarate, vitamin C, and liver support herbs like dandelion, burdock, yellow dock, and milk thistle. (XCD Nutrition's DIM Hormone Support also contains calcium d-glucarate)
- Use charcoal on rough days. Activated charcoal binds to excess estrogen to prevent it from creating havoc on your cells. Use it on particularly miserable initial detox days — not throughout the entire time you take DIM. Reason being, it also binds nutrients, and you want to get the most out of the healthy food you eat.
- Drink plenty of clean water. Get a good filter, and drink way more water than you think you need. Frequent urination is a good thing while you’re detoxing.
- Explore detox biohacks. Saunas, IV therapy, cryotherapy (no chamber needed, you can toss some ice in your bath or take a cold shower), and other detox methods will help things along.
If you had detox symptoms for a few days, it’s a sign that you had a lot of estrogen to deal with and you probably really needed to get it out.